And despite feeling even groggier than I did yesterday, I decided to count my blessings. And then having counted them, I realised something rather sad.
When I am ill, it means that I am grateful for:
- my normal state of mental acuity and energy, which I remind myself is only on temporary leave;
- having the excuse to wear my baggiest, warmest layers knowing that I don't have to see anybody today;
- slobbing on the couch watching the next installment of 'Six Feet Under' (as has just been pushed through my letterbox);
- the opportunity to doze between episodes, at will;
- the knowledge that chocolate does not contain any calories when you are sick;
- the option of flicking through my email, sending long replies if I feel fit, or putting aside for another day if I don't;
- the fact that I currently don't have any kids to delay the recovery process;
- not having to contact the office to call in sick, because I don't have a job; and
- guilt-free space to daydream about all of my future possibilities, knowing that taking action with my current lack of clarity probably would cause disastrous results.
Oh, who am I kidding? This would have been yet another day where I looked at my oh-so-exciting To Do list and wondered where the time had gone.
Perhaps this is a minor wake-up call. Sod it, where is that snooze button...?